Wednesday, December 7, 2011

my plate


This time last year, I was teaching and my brain was about to explode.  We (my mom and I) were sending off All-State stuff, preparing for the Christmas Concert, taking our kids all over the universe during school/after school to sing, getting ready for musical auditions, and everything else that goes with a choral program during the holidays.  In other words, I felt swamped.  My plate was more than just full.

I read this post by my friend Leslie the other day and I've been thinking about it a lot.  What size is my plate anyway?  I think my plate actually used to be a platter.  I was always busy in high school and in college, being a music major basically absorbed my life.  I liked being busy.  I said, "yes," to everything and wanted a full plate at all times.  Being busy made me feel important.  

I still like having things to do, but being crazy busy is not a desire of mine anymore.  Those last 2 years of teaching gave me a schedule that was full all of the time.  I did 'school' things on evenings and weekends, leaving hardly any time for myself and for Colt.  It was a different kind of busy and I didn't like how it made me feel.

I think that job caused my plate to shrink.  Surely our plates change sizes as we go through different phases of life.  Right now, I think I'm in a saucer phase.  As opportunities, events, and hangouts come our way, I've really tried to say "no" when I need to.  I've learned I cannot do it all with a new baby.  Missing out on a fun get together with friends or skipping an event in order to maintain my sanity are worthwhile decisions.   I think as I learn to balance everything in this new time of life, my plate may grow once again.  But for now, I am satisfied with my saucer. :)

1 comment:

  1. Glad that post was meaningful for you! I totally agree that the size of your plate changes with the seasons of our lives. I'm already feeling mine shrinking a bit in preparation for this new baby!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...