Thursday, October 13, 2011

38th week realizations, thoughts, and stories


As I'm nearing the end of my 38th week, I wanted to share some realizations, thoughts, and stories.

1.  My belly button is off center.  Maybe it's because Duke is positioned funny, but, let's be real ... it's just off center.

2.  Colt is a really good pregnant person's husband.  Sorry, you don't get to borrow him for your pregnancy.  He's very understanding and is always willing to help.

3.  Colt is a really funny pregnant person's husband.  A couple months ago, I told him I was needing to go pick out some fabric for some pillows in the nursery.  I said that I figured he didn't necessarily care to be a part of that process, so I'd go with my mom.  This was his response - "I think that's what hell will be like.  You walk in, the devil hands you a cold cup of coffee, and then tells you you're going fabric shopping."

4.  I can't wait to be active again.  Sure, it's fun to blame things on pregnancy most of the time, but when you get winded after walking from the kitchen to the bedroom, that's an odd feeling.

5.  The Boppy pillow saved my life.  No, not the one that your baby uses ... the big one for moms.  My friend, Katie, let me borrow hers and it has totally changed the way I sleep.  Please, do yourself a favor and get one if you're ever pregnant.  It's amazing.

6.  Being sick and being this pregnant is not fun.  I fortunately breezed through my first trimester with zero sickness.  I was nauseous in the mornings a bit, but it went away quickly.  I guess that since I missed the horror that is morning sickness, I got to have end of pregnancy sickness.  I had a combination of issues, including nausea, upset stomach, heartburn, diarrhea, and throwing up, for an entire week.  It was ridiculous.  I didn't know what to do with myself because I have a pretty great record for hardly ever getting sick.  I think it's because I was never good about washing my hands as a kid so my body isn't too messed up by germs.  (I realize that is probably not medically sound, but just let me be.)  

Anyway, before I had actually thrown up that week, I felt like I needed to.  Colt suggested that we take a walk.  That was the last thing I wanted to do, but I thought it might get something going.  Sure enough, halfway into our walk, it happened.  There I was, bent over, the crazy pregnant lady throwing up in the neighborhood streets at 10:30 p.m.  Cute, huh?

That week is over and I feel better now.  I went to my appointment yesterday and found out I had lost 4 lbs. in that week.  I guess when your diet consists of chicken noodle soup and crackers once or twice a day, that kind of thing happens.  

7.  Some of you may have heard about my false water breaking moment.  I'll make this short.  My mom, Mama Lue, and I pulled up to my shower on Monday evening, which also happened to be our 3rd anniversary.  Karlie, my sister, met us there.  I got out of the car and I was wet.  


(Of course, my mom got a picture.  Why not?)  All signs were pointing to MY WATER BROKE.  After mass confusion, we decided to continue with the shower, open presents, and then deal with this afterwards.  Colt and I went to the hospital when the shower was over and they checked it ... twice.  No, my water did not break.  After a long time of being monitored and listening to a lot of stories about other women's cervixes, we got to go home. Sure enough, my parents informed me that they found an issue with water leaking in their car and I had evidently been sitting in a wet seat on the way to the shower.  Yeah, bad timing for a pregnant lady ... but also, a really good practical joke for a pregnant lady if you need one.  Oh, and Happy Anniversary to us.

8.  Oh my gosh (in Kristen Wiig's voice from this SNL skit), my ankles are swollen!  I can't find my bones.  I have cankles.  This is weird majeird!

9.  I've been having Braxton Hicks contractions for awhile now, but I just may have started experiencing the slightest version of real contractions last night.  Here we go ...

10.  I put a poll up over to the right and I'd love to see what everyone thinks.  It's just for funnies ... sorry, you don't win anything if you get it right.  So, give me your 2 cents on when you think Duke will be here!

2 comments:

  1. Love, Love, Love - comment #3!! Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for this lil' boy to be here!!! :) Oh Claire, it sounds like you're on the path to labor friend! And that incident with your parent's car... priceless!!! Hang in there, you'll meet him so soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...