Sunday, May 8, 2011

lessons learned from mom

My mom taught me that the little things are important.  Always write thank you notes.  Lighting a candle in a freshly cleaned kitchen is like heaven.  Sending your 7 year old daughter, or 24 year old daughter, to school with a sandwich w/ her name on it is a treasure.


She wasn't always on my side.  If I came home from school complaining about what some girl said or did to me, her first question was, "Well, Claire, did you do something to make her say/do that?"  Of course, that's not what I wanted to hear.  I wanted her on my team!  Well, she was on my team, but she was also teaching me that there are always 2 sides to a story and I am not always right.

Waiting in line in the grocery store for my mom to go through her coupons was annoying.  Asking my mom if we could go out to eat and hearing her say, "No, we have food here," wasn't fun.  Wanting the name brand but getting the generic version felt silly.  Thank you, mom, for being a good steward of our money.  Thank you for spending money on things that mattered.  Having money and being rich isn't the answer either.  I learned from you that those things do not make us happy.  It doesn't matter that I didn't understand it as a kid.  Now, I understand it, and I am truly grateful to have learned something so significant.

Working with my mom the past 2 years will be one of the greatest memories of my life, I have no doubt.  The fact that we have had each other has made extremely unbearable moments seem bearable.  We have pulled each other along and I know I will look back on this and think, "I can't believe I got to work with my mom."  She's a very hard worker and she always does what is right.

I could write for hours, but for these things, mom, thank you.

Happy Mother's Day!  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...