Thursday, December 23, 2010

#23: music with the family

I am blessed to be a part of a very musical family. I can't count the number of times that people have asked, "Do you guys just sit around and sing together all the time??" The answer, of course, is always, "No." Although it doesn't feel like it's often enough, I love getting to sing together.

My parents started dragging us around at a young age to sing for different church events in Oklahoma. I remember sound checks were always interesting. Someone would blow into the mic or point the mic in the wrong direction and dad would tell us to stop and then we'd laugh and couldn't stop giggling to where we couldn't even sing .... etc.

Now that we're all older, we have a different issue to deal with. We all have opinions. Ah, yes, we would all like to be in charge of who sings what where. "No, I think you should double the melody there." "I don't like that chord progression; it's so cheesy." "I can't read your writing! That's why I'm not singing the right thing!"

So, what does this have to do with Christmas? Out of the whole year, the time we sing together most is during Christmas time. This season reminds me of getting to make music with my family. Despite the little arguments and conflicts that may arise when trying to rehearse, it really is one of my most favorite things.

My mom has a jazzy arrangement of the BC Clark Jingle that we've sung a few places. A few nights ago, we all were together in the car to go look at Christmas Lights. We broke out into this song and we usually stop at some point ... but .... we didn't. We finished the whole song. Afterwards, Mark said, "I can't believe we just did that. That's exactly what people think that we really do." We all laughed. :) I love my family and am so grateful that we get to share the gift of music.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...